At the national level, the state policy in the area of HIV/AIDS is implemented through the National Programme on Prevention and Control of HIV/AIDS and STI, which determines national strategies of priority for prevention, epidemiological surveillance and treatment. The structure of the institutional framework of the NAP is rather complex. The main executors of the state policy in the area of HIV/AIDS and STI are the Government, local public administration authorities, Ministry of Health and Social Protection and other Ministries, NGOs, mass media, etc. An important contribution is carried out by international organizations, such as UNAIDS and most UN agencies, GFATM/WB, Soros Foundation Moldova, SIDA, etc.
National AIDS Stakeholders and their Role
- Development, integration, correlation and monitoring of activities under the NAP
- Capacity building related to national response to HIV/AIDS/STI;
- Support to the consolidation of NGO networks which are working in the field of HIV/AIDS/STI and people living with HIV/AIDS;
- Priority financing, political support of HIV/AIDS activities;
- Focal points and HIV related responsibilities under several ministries;
Local Public Administration Authorities
- Regional interdepartmental, multisectoral HIV/AIDS/STIs committees;
- Earmarking in local budgets for HIV/AIDS activities;
- Contribution to regional programmes in the field.
- - Promote and make use of non-discriminatory language in HIV/AIDS/STIs;
- - Communication activities.
- Strengthening of the public health through reforming the health system;
- Development of the institutional capacities;
- Fighting negative effect of harmful environment and production factors;
- Support to the National Programmes on Prevention and Control of HIV/AIDS/STI and TB and National Programme on Blood Transfusion Safety.
Rayon Centres for Preventive Medicine
- Epidemiological surveillance in territories;
- Elaboration and implementation of preventive measures;
- Organization and coordination activities with other medical institutions.
- Analysis of the epidemiological situation, maintenance of official statistics;
- Elaboration of methods in all the areas of activity;
- Confirmation and reference tests for HIV/AIDS;
- Training and seminars on HIV/AIDS for family doctors.
- ARV treatment;
- Treatment of opportunistic infections.
- Health system strengthening;
- Scientific research coordination in the field of public health;
- Development of the legislative framework in public health.
- Development of M&E plans for the National AIDS Programmes, UNGASS reports, etc.
- Grassroots activities;
- Wide range of prevention, care, support and rehabilitation projects in HIV/AIDS related areas;
- Lobby and advocacy.
- Financial and technical assistance.
“Positive initiative” is a new created association that represents a network within the organizations with a reach experience in the field of HIV, especially working and providing services for MARPS (Most at Risk populations), people living with HIV, IDU, women and children HIV+ or affected by HIV.
Association "Youth for Right to Life", Balti is an NGO from Balti, Republic of Moldova, that more than one decade works in the field of HIV prevention, drug abuse and social assistance.